2012/09/26

Trolling is a art



Hello,

I guess you figured out by now, this Blog is about trolling. And I'm not talking about trolling in the sense of someone who visits a Forum for vegan feminists to write something like "I think, you just need to get laid once in a while. By the way, Hitler was vegan, too."

I think the term "trolling" should be seen in a much broader sense than just in the context of internet troublemakers. It is rather a concept of everyday life, a possible form of etiquette between two or more persons, which is usually designed to make us laugh, but can also sometimes serve a higher purpose.

One example: Sarcasm. Sometimes, I am so sarcastic, that I lose track of it myself. Basically, sarcasm means making a statement while indicating to mean the exact contrary. Then, there is second-level sarcasm where one is in fact so sarcastic, that you mean, what you say in reality. Based upon that, there is third-level sarcasm, fourth-level sarcasm and so on.

On the internet, it is usually not quite clear, what is sarcastic and what is not (see Poe's law), but also in real life things can become tricky. For example, I sometimes (usually after having a drink) like to answer simple yes-or-no questions completely at random and then I apply the right measure of sarcasm to express myself (which, needless to say, usually fails).

When you embrace life with open eyes, you will often see folks who - in a trolling fashion - not mean what they say...or just exactly mean what they say. I dedicate this blog to these people.

No comments:

Post a Comment